Skip to main content

-C.O.M.M.U.N.I.T.Y-

Hello Friends!
   It's been a while; life has been its usual whirlwind.

   I've been thinking a lot about community lately, how necessary it is in our lives and the importance of reaching out to others instead of living in that self-sustaining mindset.

 Growing up, the youth group I attended had a core value they based their church on. This statement was, "You can't do life alone." This is such a truthful sentence that is admittedly stuck in my head even to this day. The only problem is I never really experienced or understood what that meant until recently. Growing up, my family and I went through a lot of trials. As a result of this, we were, in a sense, "stripped" of some friendships and community. Some of this by default and some by choice. Being a pretty shy person, I am the first to admit I wasn't so keen on putting myself out there and trusting new people, especially as a teenager. Even as an adult now, I still struggle with thinking I, in fact, CAN do life alone. It can be easy to trick ourselves into believing that if I act all fine and dandy and keep being self-sufficient, I am all good. In reality, this is a very unhealthy and just sad mindset. I never knew how much I was missing out on. So here I am today to tell you that, friends, while it is healthy to not need someone to rely on 24/7, it is, in fact, okay, no, make that vital, to surround yourself with people who will go through life alongside you, encouraging, crying, praying, laughing, whatever it is, whenever it is.

   This. is. Community. This. Is. God's. Love. In. Action.

   About eight months ago, I found my clan. My community. My family.

   I took a step I never thought I would be brave enough to do without someone pushing me to do so, to be very honest. I reached out to a local church's small group/Bible study. Without knowing a single soul, I showed up at some random person's doorstep, anxiously awaiting what I was sure to be a very awkward welcome to an already established group. But you guys, it wasn't awkward, they weren't fake, and they radiated God's love in such a way I couldn't even feel out of place. I still freaked out every time a Monday came around, and it was time to leave for the group, but I felt utterly compelled to keep returning. I had no idea why I wanted to go so much; only after months of attending did it dawn on me.

   This. Is. The. Community. That. I. Have. Been. Longing. For.

   I rejoice over God's graciousness in bringing these wonderful humans into my life. Community means you don't have to struggle alone, that you can live life together, and embrace each day in the knowledge that someone has your back.

   I encourage you to look for opportunities to get involved, reach out and find your group. I promise you, it is worth it. Shout out to my local friends who read this. If you don't have a community and want to join a small group, I know some pretty great small groups you can try *Wink Wink*

   Don't do life alone, my dear friends, okay? Trust me, it isn't nearly as much fun:)

Hugs,
Em

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

~He who calls you is faithful~

Hi friends! It has been ages; I've missed you! Have you ever noticed it is almost immediately after you finish telling someone just how good you have been doing that it seems that suddenly everything starts going downhill again? That has been me this week. I was gifted with some rare moments of time with close mentors this past week, a time to be honest with where we are in life and uplift each other up for God’s glory. The devil hates progress for the Lord; we know this. God tells us we will have such struggles in this life because of the great name we hold. So, I take this new season of tribulation and discrimination for my faith as a reward from Him  It shows His goodness, His protection, and His hold on my life in action. I will be thankful for that. I have been sensing myself rapidly slipping back into my old coping methods of handling stress recently. I haven’t experienced this in a long time before now; praise God for that. Throughout this summer, God has been faithful

-Eye Love to Observe-

Hi Friends,      I’ve missed talking with you!        I write this as I sit in Jury Duty, juror ID and all. I must say, as much as this tends to be such a dreaded commitment, I am enjoying getting to people watch. There are so many different types of people and each one reacts and interacts, in their own unique way. I remember a few years ago, my grandmother took a train down from the north all the way to my home here in the south and when she arrived, she spent a great time describing all the different people she saw. She enlightened me on how much you can learn from being silent and observing. My favorite of her observations was of this particular gentleman who wore a top hat and had a cane.                                                               It is often through quietness and observation that one learns. I have spent most of my life being known as the shy girl who doesn’t talk. Not my favorite way to be defined, I must admit. However, in reality, while people s